SIRENE, The Interdisciplinary Network of Environmental and Sustainability Education Research, will organize a seminar in cooperation with WWF and the Helsinki Institute of Sustainability Science (HELSUS) on Friday, 13 December, from 9am to 3.30pm in Helsinki. The event is also the 20th anniversary of WWF Finland’s environmental education.
The seminar will discuss the role of education in solving the eco-crisis. The aim is to establish a dialogue between researchers and practitioners of the field. The keynote speaker will be Professor Arjen Wals from University of Wageningen. In addition, the programme features discussions and workshops.
Minerva-Plaza (Faculty of Education, University of Helsinki, Siltavuorenpenger 5, two floors down from the main door)
8.30 Registration and coffee
9.00 Welcome: Liisa Rohweder, Secretary General (WWF) and Professor Kai Kokko (HELSUS)
Introducing the keynote speaker, Professor Sirpa Tani (University of Helsinki)
Invited lecture: Can Education Save the Planet? Professor Arjen Wals (University of Wageningen)
Comment by Program Manager Hanna Seimola (WWF)
Discussion: Aspects of transformative environmental education, hosting Kalle Juuti (University of Helsinki) and Sanna Koskinen (WWF)
- Sustainability — Mission (im)possible? Discussion in English by researchers Seona Candy (HELSUS), Antti Saari (University of Tampere), Toni Ruuska (University of Helsinki) and Jussi Nikula (WWF)
- Early Childhood Education and School as Saviours of the Globe? Discussion in Finnish by researcher Jenni Vartiainen (University of Helsinki), art teacher Sanni Virtanen and headmaster Salla Rytilä (Ruusuvuori School)
- Young People’s Agency. Discussion by researcher Tomi Kiilakoski (Nuorisotutkimusverkosto), Niko Tamminen (Finnish Scouts) and young representative (WWF).
- How do Adults Get Involved? Discussion in Finnish by trainer Satu Jovero (Environmental School of Finland, SYKLI) and manager Katja Viberg (Helsinki Metropolitan Area Reuse Centre Ltd)
12.00 Lunch (at own cost)
13.00 Workshops (in Finnish)
- Environmental Education Research Round Table. Separate registration form for those who wish to present their research.
- Arts, Action and Climate Change Education, Maria Huhmarniemi (University of Lapland)
- Futures Scenarios of Environmental Education, Essi Aarnio-Linnanvuori (WWF)
- Project meeting by Sirpa Tani and Kalle Juuti (University of Helsinki)
- Working in your own team, tell your topic on the registration form and who else is participating in this work.
15.00 Vocal Ensemble Flow
15.30 Closing the seminar